>

Monday, October 8, 2007

American History

I mentioned a few days ago how Gone with the Wind was being used to teach my son about the Civil War, well, things are NOT looking up in the Dept. of Social Studies at our local Jr. High. There was a question on today’s homework about sectionalism and it’s relation to the secession of the southern states (material no doubt covered by Miss Scarlet). In an effort to make sure we were all on the same page I suggested we look up the definition of sectionalism in the glossary. Imagine my surprise when I discovered not one but two glossaries in the back of the book. Yep, in my son’s American History book there is an English glossary and a Spanish glossary. Definitions in Spanish, for those living in the United States, going to a school funded by American tax dollars and learning (or to the best of David O. Selznick’s cinematographic abilities) about the history of the United States of America!!!
I am all about equal opportunity and my views on immigration (among other things) have caused me to be labeled a liberal in some circles, but this is really, in my book, too much. If we expect these kids to speak English and learn about American History I think it’s time we do what ever is necessary to make sure they can speak the language. I am not of the opinion that a Spanish glossary acheives this goal.



On a completely different note, this morning as I am doing my daily “blog check” I am overwhelmed (in a good way) at all of the interesting topics relating to General Conference and I can’t wait to read them all. –But, wait I will, for I have much to do this morning. SIGH.

No comments:

 
>